Want to make a difference while meeting in the ATL Airport District? It’s easy. We welcome your group to take advantage of our volunteering and corporate social responsibility opportunities while exploring our destination. Find out how rewarding it is to give your attendees a purpose-driven experience and make a positive impact on the local community.
What is Voluntourism, and Why Is It Important?
Voluntourism – a combination of volunteering and tourism – is when individuals and groups help support the local communities of the destinations where they're meeting.
Voluntourism is essential for a variety of reasons. Not only does it help attendees connect with local cultures and support different charitable causes in accomplishing their goals, but it also provides a unique team-building experience. What better way to create a positive memory of your meeting than working together to do some good?
Charitable & Corporate Responsibility Opportunities in the District
In the ATL Airport District, we know that small acts can make BIG impacts. Because of this, we want to encourage groups to get in on the action by assisting one or more of the charitable organizations and nonprofits in the area.
Many charities and social enterprises here are doing their part in combating and spreading awareness of various issues, such as hunger, race and gender inequality, and homelessness.
- Love Beyond Walls is a District charity based in College Park that strives to provide dignity to people experiencing homelessness and challenging circumstances by giving them a voice, visibility, shelter, and community, as well as grooming and support services to achieve self-sufficiency. Groups can donate resources and time with Love Beyond Walls putting together and distributing hygiene kits and food to community members in need.
- The Metro Atlanta Urban Farm, also in College Park, was created to alleviate the food insecurity experienced by too many in the Metro Atlanta area. They strive to reduce the barriers to healthy living in urban communities through education and fostering sustainable quality agricultural production at the lowest cost possible. They welcome groups to volunteer time for projects such as planting, maintaining the crops, harvesting, and more.
- Goodr is an Atlanta nonprofit that makes it incredibly easy to reduce food waste at your event. Scheduling a pick-up of surplus food is as simple as a few clicks and they take care of the logistics of donating to partners ready to distribute to those in need.
- The Atlanta Community Food Bank is just a stone’s throw from the District and offers groups the opportunity to take an active role in feeding the community. A member of Feeding America, this nonprofit works with 700+ Metro-Atlanta area programs to distribute over 100 million meals every year. They depend on volunteers to make the biggest impact possible, and they make the process of organizing and participating completely seamless. The ATL Airport District CVB team and partners from the Georgia International Convention Center, Atlanta Airport Marriott Gateway, and Atlanta Airport Marriott recently rolled up their sleeves to unpack donations and sort 6,815 pounds of food, equating to 5,679 meals, and had a truly wonderful experience!
- CSRconnection is a comprehensive planning firm that takes all the guesswork out of your corporate social responsibility planning. You’ll work with a representative who will carefully consider your group's goals, budget, and interests and recommend customized experiences to maximize your time doing good while you meet in the District. Opportunities range from assembly activities (such as meal-packing, hygiene kits, and school backpacks), to creative stations to beautify spaces for others, or even a fun team-building activity, such as a scavenger hunt, that produces a cash donation for a designated charity. The possibilities are endless!
Plan a Meeting That Matters
Whether you’re bringing your favorite charitable initiative or looking for ways to build voluntourism into your next meeting or convention, the ATL Airport District CVB team looks forward to working with you to incorporate corporate social responsibility (CSR) and volunteer efforts into your next event in the District.